Mark Cuban: NBA G-League’s one and done alternative is “a necessity”  

0
225
DALLAS, TX - JANUARY 25: Jason Kidd of the Dallas Mavericks celebrates with team owner Mark Cuban as the Mavericks received their 2010-2011 NBA Championship rings prior to during the game against the Dallas Mavericks and the Minnesota Timberwolves on January 25, 2012 at American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2012 NBAE (Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

Dallas Mavericks owner, Mark Cuban agrees with the new move by the NBA’s G-League.

Last week, the NBA’s G-League announced that  they will implement an alternative to the NCAA’s one and done role. The G-League will offer “Select Contracts” worth $125,000 to the top high school prospects that choose to not attend college.

“If we are going to let players come out of high school, we need to do it in a way that allows us to educate, and support them,” Mark Cuban told NBA scribe, Landon Buford.

“So, they can adapt to the life of being a professional athlete. I don’t care if you are going to work for Target, Microsoft, or Google there is an adjustment and they provide the resources to help you adjust.”

The G-League’s new option will go into effect next summer. More specifically, this new ruling will allow players who are at least 18 years old, but not eligible to enter the NBA Draft to develop their craft within an NBA developmental organization.

“With the new program that we are implementing it will also enable life skills and educational training,” Cuban also told Buford.

“I think that is a necessity and the difference.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.