When A’ja Wilson really gets going, there’s little, if anything, that can slow her down. Wilson is playing some amazing basketball coming into her second season with the Las Vegas Aces. Wilson was a stand out rookie and also won ROY last season, averaging 20 PPG and 8 RPG. Wilson’s rookie year was unbelievable and there was great basketball to witness. Besides winning ROY Wilson, also earned the following accomplishments:
- Named to the WNBA All-Star Team
- Became the 15th player in WNBA history to begin her career by recording a double-double (14 points, 10 rebounds at Connecticut on May 20)
- Led or tied for the team lead in scoring on 17 occasions, in rebounding on 16 occasions, and in assists 5 times
- Reached double figures in scoring on 33 occasions and in rebounding on 10 occasions
- Scored 20 or more points on 18 occasions, and 30 or more points 3 times
Currently shooting 57.2% from the field and knowing for sure she cannot be stopped, A’ja Wilson’s game is coming along even better than expected. Wilson just broke a career high against the Indiana Fever scoring a total of 39 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 assists while only recording 2 turnovers. She is the first player ever to score over 30 points and grab 10 rebounds without shooting a 3 in a regular season game.
Wilson ranks fifth in the league in points per game, ninth in rebounds, and ninth in blocks. Her efficiency rating ranks sixth, and her field goal percentage is seventh. The reigning WNBA Rookie of the Year is in contention to start her second All-Star game in a row.
Wilson is the player I would like to see win MVP this year, she is undoubtedly an all around big man and just a complete player. Do not be surprised to see A’ja Wilson on the top echelon of elite basketball players as a well known face for the WNBA for years to come.