Manu Ginobili made his first public comments Saturday since he retired from the NBA back in August.
Speaking to Spurs reporters, Ginobili said it wasn’t easy to walk away from the game he loves, but is confident he made the right decision.
“I am very sure about the decision. It’s still awkward,” Ginobili said. “But my finger shaked a lot before hitting that enter (button). It wasn’t an easy decision. It was hard to put that last nail in the coffin. I couldn’t see my body going through that kind of grind again. When I came back here and came to work out a little bit to lift or bike or whatever, I saw Bryn (Forbes), I saw Dejounte (Murray) and some of the guys working out and preparing for the season and I was so far from that.”
Manu Ginobili spent his entire career with the Spurs. He was a four-time NBA champion, two-time All-Star and an Olympic gold medalist. The lefty was the 57th overall pick in the 1999 NBA draft and joined the Spurs in 2002. He has career averages of 13.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.8 assists in 1,057 games with the Spurs.
Ginobili said he hopes to aid his former team as much as possible and will be around the facility throughout the upcoming season. The future Hall of Famer also stated the 2014 championship over the Miami Heat “was outstanding.”
“The 2014 championship was outstanding,” Ginobili said. “I was carrying a very heavy load for what happened the year before. We did it with a great team. What’s important are the memories, the experience, the friends. To be a good person, a good father, a good husband, a good citizen.”